This garden in Burley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire was uninviting and lacked any style, colour, or visual interest.
There were certain existing areas of the garden which had a successful layout. These included the patio sheltered by a pergoal and the position of the trampoline at the side of the house. However, the undifined lawn area and unattractive shrubs gave no architectural presence and consequently the garden felt small and closed in.
The client wished to create a modern, stylish outdoor environment which reflects their tastes and lifestyle. The garden space was to offer a welcoming and usable environment for all the family members to enjoy. The garden should offer opportunities for relaxation, recreation and entertaining.
The garden area wrapped around the rear and side of the house, and the new wall of the extension created a different dynamic. Therefore the opportunity existed to define and divide the space into individual rooms, which would offer different experiences for family members and also make the garden appear larger and more interesting. A new balcony provided a significant opportunity for extending the interior space; offering an alternative outside experience.
Main Objectives: –
- Create a stylish and practical garden, with defined areas or ‘rooms’, to provide an enjoyable environment and enhance the views from the house.
- Consider how best to overcome the challenge of how the garden is accessed; find solutions which make the garden a desirable and comfortable destination.
- Create specific focal points to provide interest and enhance the experience of the garden.
- The garden must offer something for all the family, including the outlook from the lower living accommodation.
- Trampoline and patio area with pergola to be retained in its current position.
- Consideration given to optimum position for a barbecue, with a potential option of a pizza oven.
- Planting style and colour – the theme of the new planting palette will be silvers, greys, lilacs, blues and purples in flower and foliage, also including striking, architectural shrubs.
- Existing planting will be assessed, plants with merit will be integrated into the new planting scheme.
“What a transformation over the past few weeks. As ever, absolutely brilliant job by the amazing Kingdom Gardens team from start to finish – we are thrilled. Can’t wait for the plants to arrive – oh and could we have a bit of sunshine too!”
“This is the second garden project that kingdom Gardens have undertaken for us – and every single aspect of the design, project mgt, service, communication has been absolutely faultless.”